Accidentally spilled turmeric on your carpet? Looking for a way to get turmeric out of carpet? Then here we are sharing a full detailed guide that you can follow to get turmeric out of the carpet and you will also be able to remove turmeric stains from the carpet using the methods we are sharing here.
Turmeric is an Indian spice used in curry and other recipes. This yellow-colored spice has its uses for skincare and other purposes. Its dyeing properties are useful in giving color to the food.
Sometimes it is also used for dyeing fabric as it penetrates in cloth very well. That is why accidental turmeric spills are a huge pain to remove. A bright yellow spot in your most favorite carpet can be an eyesore thus needs to be removed.
How To Get Turmeric Out Of Carpet
As soon as you see turmeric on your carpet, grab a spoon and try to scoop out as much turmeric as possible. There are two other objects that you can use to get turmeric out of carpet: flour and talcum powder.
They are easily available in our homes. As soon as you see turmeric spill on your carpet, pour some flour or talcum powder on the spot. These act as suitable absorbents and will prevent the spread of turmeric on the carpet. Let the powder sit for some time, then wash the carpet.
Now that you have successfully removed turmeric from your precious carpet, your problem is solved. Or is it?
Turmeric contains a chemical called curcumin, which gives it excellent dyeing properties. You will see that even after you have removed the turmeric, a stain remains.
This is because turmeric seeps in deep within the fabrics of your carpet and dyes it. This is the time you need to act fast. If you are late, the stain will settle in and become permanent, and that is exactly the opposite of what you wanted, right? But do not panic, We are here to help.
So here are some methods for you to remove turmeric stains from carpet:-
Using liquid dish wash and hydrogen peroxide
- Get a bowl of warm water. Use a towel or absorbent paper and dip it in the water. Blot the towel on the carpet to absorb the excess turmeric from the carpet to the towel. Make sure that you do not rub the stain. This little error will cause the stain to spread and make matters worse. If you have dropped turmeric powder, use a damp piece of towel to blot out the stain. Make sure that the water is cold or warm. If you use hot water, then the turmeric stain will set on the carpet, and it will be impossible to remove.
- Mix some water with liquid soap or liquid dish wash. Take a sponge and soak it with the mixture. Use the sponge to dab the mixture on the turmeric stain. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- After ten minutes, use a clean towel to blot out the stain. Make sure to use a cleaner part of the towel or change the towel after seeing the towel you used to blot out the stain has soiled with turmeric. This process will absorb most of the turmeric out of the carpet.
- After you have removed most of the stain, use a brush or another towel to scrub out the remaining stain. Scrub the carpet as long as the stain remains.
- After the stain has almost vanished, get to the final process. Make a mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide. The mixture should have nine parts of hydrogen peroxide and one part of water. You can find hydrogen peroxide in any supermarket or pharmacy. Pour the mix into a spray bottle and spray it on the stain. Leave the area like that for two hours. After the time has passed, take a towel or brush and use liquid soap to clean off the area. Your carpet will be clean by this time. Dry the carpet to avoid settling of dirt.
Using liquid dish wash and baking soda
Baking soda is used as a cleaning agent to remove dirt and grease like materials.
- Mix a tablespoon of baking soda and liquid dishwashing soap into a cup of water. The soap and soda should be in a 3:1 ratio before you mix it with water.
- Use a sponge to soak the mixture. Dab the sponge on the turmeric stain till you cover the whole stained area.
- Use a toothbrush to rub the area gently using a circular motion. Avoid pressing hard while brushing to make sure the stain does not become more visible. If the brush dries, dip it again in the mixture to resume rubbing. Keep on rubbing till you remove the stain.
- Use a stain cleaner to add finishing touches. Soak the spot with the cleaner and wipe it off after 30 minutes.
Glycerin is an excellent solvent that you can use to dissolve turmeric stains.
- Use a bowl of lukewarm water and a towel to blot out the stain and remove the turmeric as much as possible.
- Put a mixture of glycerin and water into a spray bottle. The proportion of water and glycerin should be in equal parts in the ratio of 1:1. Spray that mixture in the stained area and keep it there for about fifteen minutes.
- After the time has passed, apply some lukewarm water to the affected area and let it set in for a minute. Then use a clean towel to blot out the stain. Make sure to change towels if you see your towel is soiled with turmeric.
- While blotting, you will see stains coming out of the carpet. After you are done, wash off the area with a brush and some soap water. Dry the carpet to avoid settling of dirt.
Using methylated spirit
Spirit is a well available product in your homes. It can act as a good stain remover. Methylated spirit is basically a mixture of ethyl and methyl alcohol. You may also know it as denatured alcohol.
There are some precautions you need to take before you apply this method. Apply some spirit on one corner of the carpet to make sure it does not have any side effects or damages your carpet. Methylated spirit is poisonous, so make sure you do not ingest it. Use eye and mouth protection to avoid any harm.
- Blot the stained area with a white towel and lukewarm water to soak off as much turmeric as possible. Make sure that you do not rub the stained area to prevent any spread.
- Apply the spirit on the stain and let it sit for about five minutes. You will notice that the stain turns red. Do not worry, this is natural.
- Dab the stain with towels. Make sure to change towels after it is soiled with turmeric. Repeat this process until all of the stains are removed.
- Wash off the area by spraying some cold water.
- Use detergent on the stained area. Let it settle for five minutes. Then use a damp cloth to rinse the area.
This method is exclusive to white carpets only. DO NOT apply this method to any other colored carpets as that will remove the color of your fabric since it is a very powerful detergent with acidic properties.
This is one of the best ways to wipe off turmeric stains from white carpets. Pour the necessary amount of bleach into a container and let the carpet soak in it for about fifteen minutes. After the time has passed, wash the carpet manually or use a washing machine.
Extra tips to keep in mind
Due to its excellent dyeing properties, turmeric can penetrate the fabric very well to create a long-lasting color. So, whenever you drop turmeric on your carpet, make sure to take action as soon as possible. If you leave the stain like this even for a few hours, the dye will dry on the carpet, which might result in permanent staining, and that is definitely not the thing you want. Take action as soon as you can to increase the chances of removal.
Do not scrub the carpet where the stain is located. Since the stain is moist, it will spread more easily into the carpet if you rub and cover more area, which will result in an increase in your effort. Just blot the area with clean towels to absorb off the excess turmeric. You can easily clean the towels by washing them or using any commercial stain removing powder.
Another thing you need to make sure of is the material of your carpet. The material of the carpets is an important factor in deciding which chemicals to apply to it. Using the wrong chemical can cause damage to your carpet. Before applying hydrogen peroxide, or bleach, or glycerin, apply a few drops of them on a corner of the carpet or any spare carpet of the same material to check the presence of any side effects.
Sunlight can act as a good bleaching agent. If you have stained a white carpet, hang it out in the sunlight. It also dries the carpet, which is good for it as it does not allow dirt to settle on the carpet. Prolonged exposure to the sun will cause the stain to fade away. Once again, this method is exclusive to white-colored carpets because the other carpets will lose their color due to sunlight’s bleaching properties. You should also hang your white carpets out in the sunlight to keep them odor-free.
Steam clean your carpet after removing the stain from it. This will give a good finish to your carpet.
As mentioned before, keeping your carpet dry is an important thing for carpet maintenance. In the case of colored carpets, use a high-speed fan or blower to dry them quickly.
In case of permanent staining
Were you unable to notice the turmeric spill in time? Has the carpet become permanently stained? Do not lose hope. Instead of discarding the carpet, you can hide the stain. One way is to cover the stained area is to put an item of furniture or object on the area to block the line of sight.
Another interesting way is to color the entire carpet so that the stain merges with the rest of the colors. This is a great way to hide stains in light-colored carpets.
Lemon juice or vinegar can act as mild natural bleaching agents. Dilute them with 1-2 tablespoons of water before applying them.
Thus we conclude our list of methods to clean turmeric and its stains from your carpet. Please make sure to take the precautions mentioned and keep in mind the tips given above.
We hope this article has helped you solve your problems. In case someone you know faces this problem, now you know the tips you can give them or share this article to help them solve their problems.